Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ramblin' Gamblin' (Wo)Man

Camp ended yesterday, thus beginning my life as a cliche basement-dwelling college grad.

I cannot live here for long. It will eat my soul. I love my family and I need to be relatively close to them - staying in Michigan for the time being is a must - but I hate how lazy I get when I'm at home for a long time. It's kind of nice when my mom does my laundry, makes me things like macaroni and cheese with hotdogs, takes me grocery shopping and essentially treats me like a 7-year-old. But I can only take it for so long. I need an active, independent lifestyle.

I also need a lifestyle that involves procuring money. I presently have about $2,000 in the bank. That is not a lot of money to put towards loan payments, bills, car repairs, and all that other grownup bullshit. My dismal teaching job search dictates that continuing to sub would be my best option. I have to admit, for a part-time gig, subbing isn't half bad. It's decent money, if you actually do your job you'll be requested by schools regularly, certified teachers are guaranteed work, it's a great learning opportunity and the schedule is ridiculously flexible. And you can do it anywhere. Teachers fail to show up all over the place.

Thus, wherever I go, wherever I park my cardboard box, I can at the very least sub and make enough money to scratch by. I might need to defer my loans and keep my food assistance, but I could feasibly make it anywhere.

Enough jabberwocky; here are my "anywhere" options:

1. Keep freeloading. Besides the obvious perks (no rent, free food), I could tolerate living with my mom for a little while. Since I've either been at college or camp for the past five years, I've haven't spent much time at home and feel kind of disconnected from my kinfolk. I miss everyday domestic life - the little triumphs and trials that make up a household with school-aged kids. When I came home yesterday my brother was so excited to tell me that he had made the freshman soccer team. It made me smile and reflect on the fact that life has been marching on in my family. Particularly, on my dad's side, recent events have reminded me how important family is. It would be nice to remain close enough to see my dad often and support him on the road ahead. Cons include getting fat (all these people eat is junk food. I swear), lack of independence (we have no such rule, but I still feel obligated to tell my mommy/ask permission whenever I go somewhere. Hate it), boredom, and guilt from feeling like a mooch. However, all in all, living at home is a solid contender.

2. Flint I've wanted to live in Flint since the Copneconic days. Something about the combination of 'hood, history and working-class culture has always drawn me to the area, not to mention my own personal experiences there and the GFA people I'm close to. Housing in Flint is dirt cheap for obvious reasons, and depending on where you look it can be challenging to find safe and reputable places. I'm willing to shop around. The original plan was to find a place with KMFP/other people, but now that she's po' too that may not be happening. It would be both a drawback and a perk to live alone. I wouldn't mind it as it would certainly afford me all the independence in the world, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for a little white girl to live alone in Flint. Not too sure about money either. I don't know if I can make enough to support myself in unshared housing. Anyway, I miss my cozy, quirky little apartment in the A and could easily see myself living in a cute, Flint-y place if I can find one.

3. Oh, and speaking of getting fat, could always move in with the MFP fam. That would basically be like living at home with more animals and lard-based foods.

4. Grand Rapids My friend is moving out there to sub and would like a roommate. I don't know the city well, but what I've seen I absolutely love. I think moving to Grand Rapids would be good for me. It would be like moving somewhere far away when in fact I'd still be reasonably close to friends and family. The economy is supposed to be better on the west side of the state, so that might open more doors as far as teaching and other employment is concerned. Grap is extraordinarily diverse, has a young population and tons of art, cultural, and recreational opportunities. I lived with this friend for the beginning of student teaching and I know it'd be a hoot, plus I have a hand full of pals in that area. Most importantly, it would be fun to live someplace with a cool nickname like Grap.

So, in the next few weeks, one or none of these things will be happening.

Until then, I will continue to abide by my mantra, which has served me well since I used it as my senior quote:

What comes next? Just bust a move.

Homelessly yours,

MLA

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I'm in almost the same situation. Living back at home reverts you to a child-like state. I kind of miss going to the laundromat, cooking whatever I felt like and not being questioned daily about what I did last night.

Dont get me wrong, Love the perks of free food and magically-cleaned clothes. I just miss my independence.

Fancy moving to England? I know a cheap place we could split, and this Government is much nicer to foreign devils than America!

Just a pipe dream!

Keep up the Bloggitarianism.

New word.

JTG