Monday, February 01, 2010

Tie Dye

Have you ever noticed how often you put yourself down, both aloud and in your head? I cannot count the number of remarks I make that are along the lines of "Ugggh. I am so lazy. I am a waste of space" or "I'm a horrible person." While I am almost always joking when I say these things, teaching has recently taught me that words should not be used in vain. What you say should always be chosen carefully. And even if self-criticism is applied in jest, it still gives off negative energy.

There is a part of me that is highly self-aware, but for the most part I don't care how I am or what I do as compared to other people. Yes, I chose to loaf in bed all last Wednesday because I didn't have to work, while both my roommates were out in the world occupied. Even in light of these differences, did choosing a day of leisure really make me a bad person? No.

I'm tired of writing and am doing so very poorly, so without further ado here is a list of simple, everyday things I do that improve the world a little bit and do not make me a terrible person.

1. I use my manners.

2. I never leave a classroom/workplace/office until everything is 100% in order.

3. I buy local.

4. I hold doors.

5. I learn kids' names as fast as I can.

6. I turn off and unplug electronics I'm not using.

7. I let people in while driving and change lanes for people on the side of the road.

8. I rewind.

9. I pick up trash.

10. I turn off the radio when my passenger is talking on the phone.

11. I recycle and reuse as much as humanly possible.

12. I return texts, calls, and emails in a timely fashion.

13. I move my roommates' cars for them.

14. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

15. I tip well.

16. If I discipline somebody, I always follow up with that student later to debrief the situation.

17. I walk instead of drive as much as is feasible.

17. I periodically go through my clothes and donate anything I haven't worn in the last 6 months.

18. I laugh at myself.

19. I pay my rent on time.

The endie.

Still sad Lil Wayne is going to jail. I'll have to bake him a cake with a file in it. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure listening to Lil Wayne makes me a bad person somehow.

Toodles.

MLA

2 comments:

Matt said...

All good things.

You rewind? Meaning you still watch videos?

amk said...

you sounded very amk-ish when you mentioned "energy." i liked it. also i'd totally post on my blog today, but the keyboard at work is a piece of sh*t. i'll show you:

If I dn't try to push every key down very, very hard ten not every letter shos up and i lk like a dummy.